Vitamin B 2 Riboflavin
You'll find more information on b complex vitamin benefits on other pages and lots on Vitamin B 2 Riboflavin here.
• one of the water soluble vitamins
• like B1 Vitamin B2 is also important for food metabolism and release of energy in cell Alt Med
• important in formation of red blood cells Alt Med
• helps activate other B vitamins Alt Med
• causes yellow urine – so don’t be alarmed when you’re on supplements and see yellow urine – it just means you have enough and your cells are letting it pass by – if you don’t see yellow urine it is possible you are not getting enough B2
• it is destroyed by light but not by cooking
• helps protect against free radicals by regenerating glutathione
• in relatively high dosage (400 mg/day) can help in decreasing severity of migraine (Cephalagia 1994) – magnesium at a reasonably normal dosage of 600 mg/day seems to give even better results (Cephalagia 1996)
Similar to B1 – no RDA. AI is:
• Adults Males 1.3 mg/day; Females 1.1 mg/day
• Teens Males 1.3 mg/day; Females 1.0 mg/day
• Children 1-4 years 0.5 mg/day; 4+ years 2.5 m/day
Dosage in Supplements
• Adults 27 mg/day
• Teens 9 mg/day
• Children 1-4 years 1.25 mg/day; 4+ years 2.5 mg/day
• No toxicity reported.
You will find more on migraines and lots more information on other topics, including full citations and summaries of studies from medical journals in my book It’s About Health. But you can also continue to surf the 200 free pages of this website for lots of valuable, evidence-based information.
It's About Health
Continue to Vitamin B3 - Niacin
Return to List of Vitamins
Return from Vitamin B 2 Riboflavin to Home Page of Secrets-About-Vitamins