Facts About Selenium
A number of facts about selenium are supported by the literature and selenium benefits are considerable.
• Trace mineral
• synergistic nutritional partner of Vitamin E - Alt Med
• works with E to preserve elasticity of skin tissues
• important constituent of antioxidant enzyme glutathione peroxidase which is contained in white blood cells and blood platelets Alt Med
• good evidence that it helps protect the prostate especially in combination with zinc and Vitamin E - JAMA 1996, Urologic Oncology 2003, and other studies. Protecting that little organ is very important. You want to keep it symmetrical and of the proper size. Enlarged prostate (BPH) is one of the first steps to Cancer of the Prostate
• inhibits oxidation of lipids
• with Vitamin E works as an antioxidant and helps protect liver, heart
• some evidence it can help prevent gastrointestinal cancers Nutr Rev 1996; 54 – this can be one of the key benefits of selenium
• it is the synergistic effect of micronutrients that is so important – Vitamins A, B6, B12, C, D, E and folic acid and the trace elements copper, selenium, iron, and zinc work together to support protective properties of immune cells Br J Nutr 2007
• necessary for metabolism of iodine
• as illustrated, a lack of selenium can be problematic.
There is no RDA available. AI is:
• Adults 55 mcg/day
• Teens 40 mcg/day
• Children 1-4 years 20 mcg/day; 4+ years 30 mcg/day
Dosage by Supplements
• Adults 200 mcg/day
• Teens 120 mcg/day
• Children 1-4 years 15 mcg/day; 4+ years 30 mcg/day
• Depending on form is toxic at varying levels – 1 mg/d can be toxic to adults
• Never take more than 200 mcg/day to ensure no toxicity
• Children and teens should stay within the levels shown above
• No need to get into selenium overdose - supplementation should be in the micrograms shown above.
You will find lots more information, including full citations and summaries of studies from medical journals in my book It’s About Health. But you can also continue to surf the 200 free pages of this website for lots of valuable, evidence-based information.
It’s About Health
Continue to Silicon Supplement
Return to List of Minerals
Return from Facts about Selenium to Home Page Secrets About Vitamins