Health Benefits of Chromium Picolinate
There are a number of health benefits of chromium picolinate although more medical research on chromium picolinate effects would of course be useful.
• Trace mineral
• regulates blood sugar levels by potentiating insulin to maintain proper levels of glucose
• deficiency can be serious especially for diabetics as blood sugar levels can be upset – chromium picolinate effects in supplement form: 100-500 mcg twice daily can help blood sugar levels Diabetes 1997
• involved in food metabolism, especially carbs and lipids
• involved in enzyme activation
• helps regulate cholesterol
• for athletes and those who exercise regularly, as chromium picolinate, helps build muscle
• soil in USA generally short of chromium, so some deficiency in the population
• difficult to absorb from food
• as chromium picolinate or polynicotinate costs more but is most effective
There is no RDA for Chromium: AI is:
• Adults 25-35 mcg/day
• Teens 24-35 mcg/day
• Children 1-4 years 11 mcg/day; 4+ years 15 mcg/day
Dosage by Supplements
As chromium picolinate or polynicotinate
• Adults 300 mcg/day
• Teens 150 mcg/day
• Children 1-4 years 25 mcg/day; 4+ years 50 mcg/day
• Above the normal range impact on insulin is reversed
• Dietary form, trivalent, is not toxic
Foods containing chromium that can help get the health benefits of chromium include cheese, nuts, prunes, beer, whole grains and legumes.
You will find lots more information, including full citations and summaries of studies from medical journals in my book It’s About Health. But you can also continue to surf the 200 free pages of this website for lots of valuable, evidence-based information.
It’s About Health
Continue to Copper Element
Return to List of Minerals
Return From Health Benefits of Chromium Picolinate to Home Page Secrets About Vitamins
To subscribe to my FREE Newsletter on health and wellness please complete this form.